Is there a way to have my desktop background and other settings saved to a flash drive so it can be used on a different computer?
Original Title: "Portable" desktop?
In other words, is there a way to have my desktop background, theme, and other settings saved to a flash drive so that I can go to any computer, plug my flash drive in, and have everything come up as if it was my own computer? I am thinking a batch file
but I'm just not sure if it's possible. What do you think?
Keys to the Problem Is there a way to have my desktop background and other settings saved to a flash drive so it can be used on a different computer?
Your thinking of Windows To Go. That is only a feature of Windows 8 Enterprise.
It is not something that can be accomplished any other way. At least not without creating an account on that computer and logging in with your credentials.
Manually editing the Windows registry
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (eg. Windows Operating System):
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Recommended Method to Repair the Problem: Is there a way to have my desktop background and other settings saved to a flash drive so it can be used on a different computer?:
How to Fix Is there a way to have my desktop background and other settings saved to a flash drive so it can be used on a different computer? with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The junk files will be shown in the list.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: Time I Try To Open My Internet Explorer It Says (Not Responding),No System Maintenance Icon In Control Panel,How I Put Two Ip In Two Lan Card In Win 7,Excel 2007 Copying Cells Into Filtered Rows,Detect When User Adds New Column To Sheet,Can't Type Quotes In Some Forums,Im Looking For A Formula To SORT & Match To Get Max,Part II - Need Help With Nested IF(AND Statements,Task Manager (and Perfmon) Report ~50% CPU But Processes List Says System Idle Process 96%,Cannot Uninstall Juno Internet Software From Windows 7 Enterprise 32
Read More: Host Process stopped working. Vista based system,Troubleshoot:After waking from sleep, program windows are located off screen,Troubleshooting:Why is my computer using so many disks to backup? Error,How Can I Fix - windows 8.1 won't log in in the morning?,How to Fix Error - You cannot close Microsoft Office Word until the Send Mail command is finished. Switch to the New Message first, and either send or close the message?,USB Mouse freezing,IE8 Auto Complete not working,How to get a "Text to Columns" macro and other macro to work together?,IE not working message pos up when trying to attach a photo file to email,Help with password protected file