Windows 8 update hangs system with "installing 3 of 5 updates"
From the recent upgrade to Win 8 Pro (from Win 7), when prompted recently to allow updates, the update process hangs on the "installing 3 of 5 updates - don't turn off system while update is in process" - but unable to do anything to free that up, and
I even left it on overnight just in case it was some tremendously large download, but still hung at that point (tried multiple times, obviously had to manually power off system to get out of the hang)
Keys to the Problem Windows 8 update hangs system with "installing 3 of 5 updates"
Manually editing the Windows registry
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, please do not edit the Windows registry manually.
Because of this risk, we highly recommend using a trusted registry cleaner such as SmartPCFixer Using a registry cleaner automates the process of finding invalid registry entries, missing file references (like the one causing your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error), and broken links within the registry. A backup is automatically created before each scan, with the ability to undo any changes in a single click, protecting you against the possibility of PC damage. The best part is that repairing registry errors can also dramatically improve system speed and performance.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
The next steps in manually editing your registry will not be discussed in this article due to the high risk of damaging your system. If you would like to learn more about manual registry editing, please see the links below.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Windows 8 update hangs system with "installing 3 of 5 updates":
How to Fix Windows 8 update hangs system with "installing 3 of 5 updates" with SmartPCFixer?
1. You can Download Error Fixer here. Install it on your computer. When you open it, it will perform a scan.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: 114 errors Windows Vista Home Premium After installing Windows updates my Windows 7 computer becomes 100 times slower Additional log on information may be required Click to open your browser after running Windows Updates today 11 13 12 Blue Screen Windows 7 Pro after I have access Outlook 2007 Changing letter of Windows 7 system partition C Windows explorer exe Open file error Close Window from thumbnail preview in Windows 7 Can t find webcam on Windows 7 Ultimate Can t connect my iPod to Windows Media Player Certain Problems faced regularly with Windows 7 RC Are the MCSA and MCITP Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 essentially the same thing From the looks of it they have the exact same course requirements Corel s Painter Essentials 4 will not open on my 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate PC even after trying all MS prior version install modes Any ideas Cannot send or receive blind copies in Windows Live Disk Management freezes in Windows 7 APC PowerChute Personal Edition will not install on Windows 7 64 bit DLL error messages at start up on Windows 7 OS,After Installing Windows 7 SP1 And Restarting, I Get A Blank Screen And Windows Doesn't Boot.,2 Separate Multilevel Lists In The Same Document,2003 VBA CODE NEED TO UPDATE TO 2007,After Refreshing Win8 How To Get Lost Programs Back?,After Upgrading To Windows 7 Performance Got Slower And Freezes Frequently.
Read More: when I try to install IE 8 on vista ultimate SP1 32 bit it gives me a message IE 8 supports not this version of windows Tech Support,[Solved] dosent show attachment in hotmail with internet explorer 9 windows 7,Solution to Error: is IE 8 Blocking site content not blocked by IE 7?,[Anwsered] Hijri Shamsi Calendar,Troubleshooting:How to place a formula pivot Average formula in the row of the pivot table,The True Meaning Of Nobility,100 MB System Partition Removal,After Update Aero doesn't work,After transfering files from my old laptop wiht(XP)to my new unit with Windows 7 using windows transfer utility, it changed my log-on password and now I no access at all,After virus on computer, many programs are getting a runtime error and close.