Acer Windows 7 laptop freezes after hibernation or sleep
I have a not-so-old Acer Travelmate 8372 laptop running Windows 7.
About 50% of the time, if I try to reactivate it after hibernation, it sticks on the green screen, just before it would normally ask me for my user login.
I can move the mouse and (usually) open the CD drive, but no other actions produce any result and
a restart is necessary.
Other times, it loads the user login ok, and things proceed as normal.
The same things happen when it wakes from sleep, except the screen stays black.
Again, I can move the mouse pointer but nothing else.
I've reinstalled the video drivers, and checked the system events.
The only thing reported in system events is that Excel terminates unexpectedly.
But this happens even when Excel is not open.
I had thought before that it was an issue with Adobe Acrobat,
but it also happens when that isn't open.
Possibly related: when I try to hibernate the machine, about 10% of the time it stays on but freezes, and needs to be shut down with the power button.
Any help much appreciated.
Solutions to the Problem Acer Windows 7 laptop freezes after hibernation or sleep
I seem (fingers crossed though) to have rectified this by deleting all user accounts and creating a new one that doesn't require password entry.
It would be nice to have it, but to have eliminated the problem for now is a relief.
Manually editing the Windows registry
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (eg. Windows Operating System):
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Recommended Method to Repair the Problem: Acer Windows 7 laptop freezes after hibernation or sleep:
How to Fix Acer Windows 7 laptop freezes after hibernation or sleep with SmartPCFixer?
1. You can Download Error Fixer here. Install it on your computer. When you open SmartPCFixer, it will perform a scan.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. When the Fixing part is finished, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been removed
Related: [Solved] Applications have stopped working with SP1 on Windows 7!,[Solved] I can't find auto complete text in word 2007,[Solution] I need to keep reinstalling eHome Infrared Transceiver driver everytime my computer shuts down.,How to Resolve - system restore not working windows 7?,Unable to open embedded word file on the intranet. [Solved],Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,[Anwsered] Thinkpad 8611 Boot,How to Resolve - Svchost Helper?,Fast Solution to Problem: L30 101 Driver Windows 7,Troubleshooter of Error: Io Device,How to Fix Error - Dell Laptop Code 39?
Read More: Solution to Error: A scroll bar appears next to my cursor and starts automatically scrolling up and down the screen. How do I turn this off or get rid of it completely?,How to Fix Error - A macro to Convert Columns to Rows for a data set?,How Can I Fix - ActiveX issue?,Troubleshooting:A recent download is stuck on verifying web page Error,[Anwsered] a box pops up that says \"internet explorer has stopped working\" but has not!,Cannot delete empty file icon on desktop...,Cannot download flashplayer,can't get the CIA review progrom install which is an older version,Cannot access one website-DNS server not responding.,Can't Receive or Send Vista Windows Mail - Router stopped recognizing DSL connection & wants to dial up